Saturday, February 27, 2010

Island Hopping: the logistics

Okay, so everyone is on board with the idea of moving. The hard part is done. I think Maggie's hormones must be screwing with her brain functions, because this new easy-going, whatever-you-think-is-best version of my girlfriend is somewhat of an alien to me. But, again, I'm not really one to argue. Perhaps she'll come to her senses again soon, but by then, hopefully, it will be too late. As a back-up plan I intend to further confuse her thought process by alternating parenting literature from the American Academy of Pediatrics website and delicious rum drinks from this website, www.cruzanrum.com.

Step Two: Our stuff, what to do with it? Storage. Where? My parent's house. But they live in Virginia. I'll rent a truck and drive it there. But there is just so much of it. Okay, well, let's put it on ebay.
$42.00 play station 2
$8.00 belt buckle
$64.00 King of the Hill seasons 1-6
$13.00 iPod shuffle
$6.00 Converse Chuck Taylors (gingerly used)
etc...
+______________
$457.00 total
It really is frightening how much stuff a person has lying around that essentially just takes up space. A quick inventory and a little sorting and voila! I had just paid for...

Step Three: Plane tickets - LGA to STX - One way - $405 - That leaves fifty two bucks for gummy bears; Mickey D's bacon, egg and cheese biscuits; and reeses pieces. And yes, I will spend every cent on these three things. You shouldn't mess with pre-flight rituals, and these are mine.




Step Four: Where are we gonna live when we get there? Easy peezy. Craigslist.com That place has everything. You want a Vespa in Ft. Lauderdale, done. A babysitter in Des Moines, no prob. Sexual favors in San Fran, (isnt that how the list got started?). Moving on. What I need is an apartment in St Croix. Oh look, this one has a view of the ocean... A few emails back and forth and not only did we have a place to live for $900 a month, but also a Jeep Wrangler and a ride from the airport. Thank you Craig. Your list has been most helpful.

Step Five: The Caribbean. See ya when I get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment